If you are suffering from failing teeth or a loss of teeth, then your problem will likely be twofold. Firstly, you are more likely to be vulnerable to dental health issues like gum disease and bone deterioration. Secondly, it can greatly affect how you look, as well as how you feel about yourself. Therefore, assuming you are a suitable candidate, you can now opt for a cost-effective solution to your loss of teeth in the form of all on 4 implants.
What are All on 4 Dental Implants?
In a nutshell, all on 4 dental implants are teeth replacement method that uses fewer implants than the traditional ways such as dentures and conventional implants. There are 3 things that characterise it:
- Full-mouth implants can have as few as implants per jaw. It is, however, dependent on bone density in that lower bone density may require 5 or 6 implants instead.
- It applied at the rear of the mouth are angled between 30-45 degrees instead of placed vertically, meaning patients with lower bone density can often have these applied without requiring expensive bone grafts.
- It can be fitted in your mouth within a day, making it a much faster procedure than traditional methods requiring many months of procedures with extensive recovery times.
What are the Advantages of All-on-4 Implants?
To better understand what All-on-4 implants offer overdentures and conventional dentures, have a look at the list below. All-on-4 implants have the following benefits:
- Much shorter time for treatment and recovery
- Implants can be placed on the day of extraction as well
- There is a stable and comfortable structure to hold bridges and crowns
- They do not need to be removed to be cleaned
- They can be used for patients that also have jaw bone loss
- Compared to conventional techniques, they are cheaper
Are there any Disadvantages of using All-on-4 Implants?
As with all things, All-on-4 implants are not without some downsides. These are:
- The results might not be as good as those of conventional implants
- A few people who get All-on-4 dental implants have reported issues like spitting or hissing when they speak
- While it is a good solution, it is not a completely customised solution
- The failure of one implant can create problems for the entire jaw
- The use of an artificial gum bridge might feel bulky in the mouth
The Process of All on 4 Implants
Consultation with your Dentist in Claremont
You need to first visit dentist in Claremont to conduct an examination of your mouth as well as having a CT scan. This is to determine your suitability as a candidate for the All on 4 implant procedure, as well as to see where the implants will be located. After you have been cleared, an impression of your teeth will be taken. Book an appointment with us today or contact us for more information.
The Day of Procedure
Normally, the extraction of any teeth can be done the same day as the placement of implants. The procedure often begins with you receiving a sedative of choice (have a look at our sleep dentistry page) and an anaesthetic for any pain. The extraction is then done, and the mouth cleaned for removing any bacteria and damaged tissue.
For placing the All on 4 dental implants, holes are drilled at the front and rear of the jaw as required. The rear holes are angled to provide better rear support. The dental implants are then put into the mouth and incisions made are stitched, often with dissolvable stitches. The new teeth are then fitted (likely on the same day), which are often in the form of a temporary over denture that helps the implants heal over the next few months.
Take Care of All on Four Implants
In the days following the surgery, patients often have swelling, bruising and some general discomfort so a few days off work might be required. Over the next few months, you will have to eat soft foods so that the implants are not moved from their place by accident. Our dentists in Ashton Avenue Dental will advise you what you can eat. Heavy exercise and smoking are also not advised.
Cleaning the All on four implants is just like cleaning normal teeth – with daily brushing. An alternate flossing method will be required as well.
Final Fitting of All on Four Implants
The permanent overdenture can be placed after 6-9 months following the surgery. These can last for ten years or more if taken care of properly. You will need to visit your dentist regularly for standard checkups and maintenance.
Our dentist near Claremont at Ashton Avenue Dental Practice are well-equipped for All on 4 implants. Our focus is to provide you great service and take care of all your dental needs.
All on 4 Dental Implants Cost in Claremont
If the All-on-4 implants sound like something you can use, don’t worry about the cost of it. We always make sure that you get affordable dentistry services with the best quality of care. We give our patients many dental payment plans before treatment. Contact us today or directly book an appointment!